Table of Contents
CAN related link collection
- DeviceNet Physical Layer Design and Conformance Testing http://www.warwick.ac.uk/devicenet/download/publications/DeviceNet
- Bosch CAN Specification 2.0 Not anymore valid, of course, but freely available, compared with the IEC 11898
- How CAN Arbitration works, animated slide show
- Controller Area Network - CAN Information
- Some PDF Papers written by Robert Boys explaining CAN, from the automotive usage side. (Controller Area Network Introduction and Primer)
- Introduction to the Controller Area Network Texas Instruments Application Note written by Steve Corrigan. Some of the properties of CAN, especially relating to the electrical layer and features of transceiver products, are discussed at a tutorial level.
- Controller Area Network Physical Layer Requirements Texas Instruments Application Note written by Steve Corrigan.
- CAN and CANopen in French LE RÉSEAU CAN ET LE PROTOCOLE CAN OPEN
- The Configuration of the CAN Bit Timing by Florian Hartwich and Armin Bassemir.
CAN flexible data rate (CAN FD)
- Comparing CAN FD with Classical CAN by Kent Lennartsson, Kvaser AB
- CAN FD considerations for different stakeholders Kvaser (PDF)
- CAN FD: from theory to practice written by Holger Zeltwanger is a good overview with hints on how to design CAN FD networks. CAN Newsletter, print 3/2015 page 34.
- Secure communication for CAN FD Encrypted data transmission is not yet the norm in vehicle networks. Vector has conceived an implementation for secure communication over CAN. Protection goals were authentication and preventing replay attacks. CAN Newsletter 4/2014
- BOSCH white paper on CAN-FD (V1.1) .
- CiA explains CAN FD CiA, (should always be current, it's CiA)
- Was hinter dem FD-Protokoll steckt German article by Holger Zeltwanger. March 03, 2012
- CAN FD – CAN with Flexible Data Rate PDF presentation, Thomas Lindenkreuz, Robert Bosch GmbH, Vector Kongress 2012
- The CAN FD protocol overcomes CAN limits CAN Newsletter Online.
- CAN FD CAN with Flexible Data-rate Robert Bosch GmbH presentation
- Using CAN with flexible data-rate in CANopen systems proceedings of the 13th iCC, Heinz-Jürgen Oertel; Dec 2012
- CAN with flexible data-rate, Florian Hartwich, Bosch GmbH, CAN Newsletter 2/2012
- The need for speed: Turbo-charged CAN John Griffith, Texas Instruments; Jul 30, 2013
- The need for even more speed: CAN FD Scott Monroe, Texas Instrument; Apr 11, 2014
- CAN FD - schnell und zuverlässig Holger Zeltwanger, German; February 11, 2014
- The challenge of "CAN FD" for classic fieldbuses and industrial Ethernet in special purpose machinery Thomas Waggershauser, Apr 8, 2014
- Summary of the discussion regarding the CAN FD CRC issue, Dr. Arthur Mutter, Bosch; Dec 21, 2014
- CANopen FD: CANopen wird schneller, Holger Zeltwanger, German, 27.05.2015
- iCC Paper: ‘How to use high bit rates in a CAN system, Kent Lennartsson and Jonas Olsson, Sweden, 2013
- Time Triggered Communication on CAN (Time Triggered CAN - TTCAN) Robert Bosch GmbH
- An Introduction to TTCAN Rahul Shah & Xuanming Dong; March 7, 2002
- The Event-Triggered and Time-Triggered Medium-Access Methods 2003. Sixth IEEE International Symposium on Object-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing. Claesson, V.; Ekelin, C.; Suri, N. (not any more freely downloadable)
Web site closed:
- TTCAN and Automotive Research - Circuits and Systems Research Centre, University of Limerick http://www.ttcan.com/
- SecureCAN Software solution for encryption and key management on an existing CAN, protecting payloads ⇐ 8 byte
- CAN Bus Can Be Encrypted, Says Trillium EETimes 10/22/2015
- Security in Automotive Bus Systems, Marko Wolf, AndrÈ Weimerskirch, Christof Paar; escrypt GmbH;
- Secure communication for CAN FD, Armin Happel; Vector Informatik; CAN Newsletter 4/2014
- Flexible Multicast Authentication for Time-Triggered Embedded Control Network Applications Christopher Szilagyi, Philip Koopman; ECE Department Carnegie Mellon University; 2009
- Agilent Technologies Complete Automotive Network Test Tool solutions from the worlds leader in measurement testing. Solutions for CAN, LIN and FlexRAY?
- Analytica GmbH offers CAN ethernet gateways, CAN USB gateways and CAN bridges which can be easily accessed via an application library (DLL) using a standard programming language (Windows/Linux), scripting language Lua, socketCAN (linux), CANFestival or directly by socket interface using a documented application protocol.
- Bosch, Robert, GmbH CAN Home Page; BOSCH is the originator of CAN Information about CAN and Time Triggered CAN – TTC; Datasheets CAN products: CC750/CC770
- Computer Solutions Ltd CAN - a brief tutorial
- EControls, Inc. Software and hardware package providing diagnostic resources for CAN and SAE-J1939 development. CAN to USB hardware is primary interface device.
- EMS Dr. Thomas Wuensche offers products and services for the fieldbus CAN. Products are PC interfaces (USB, PCI, Ethernet, …), distributed I/O devices and network technology related devices for better and flexible CAN networks
- emtas GmbH Tools and protocol stacks for CAN, CANopen, J1939
- IXXAT Automation GmbH Homepage; IXXAT offers products and services for CAN. Products are interface boards, gateways, tools and protocol software for CANopen, DeviceNet and J1939. As service IXXAT offers the customer specific development of hardware and software
- Laurent Schall, CANviaUSB - a CAN monitor for USB to CAN converter.
- MicroControl Control systems and field modules with CANopen and SAE j1939
- Simmasoft High-performance CAN software
- Softing CAN, CANopen and DeviceNet interfaces and tools
- Softing Fast commissioning and stable operations With CAN, CANopen, DeviceNet and J1939
- TK Engineering Oy TK Engineering offers CAN gateways, CANopen source code stack and windows DLL, CAN driver on Android, CAN analyzers, CANopen configurator and much more.
- Traquair Data Systems, Inc. (Ithaca, NY USA) offers products and services for CAN. Off the shelf products include PC Interfaces (USB, Ethernet) using Windows/Linux, Gateways, Repeaters, Fiber Optics, I/O devices, Network Monitoring, Tools and Protocol Software for CANopen.
- Vector Informatik GmbH Complete integrated SW tool chain. Global leading provider of solutions for automotive communication software components and development tools. SW and tools for many busses (like CAN, LIN, FlexRay, J1708, …) and protocols (like CANopen, DeviceNet, SAE J1939, NMEA2000, ARINC, …).
- http://www.cancapture.com/forum.html General, english forum hosted by CANCapture for software/hardware specific questions.
- https://forums.tm.agilent.com/phpbb2/index.php?c=19&sid=06ec72f1d7598d3c169d521ccb3fc203 Agilent hosted forum for Local Interconnect Network Testing discussion and questions
- http://www.canhack.de/ german forum for automotive CAN applications
- http://www.canhack.org/ forum containing information about chrysler CAN bus
- http://www.can-cia.org/services/conferences/ - CAN Conferences organized by CiA
The remaining links should be sorted into the above categories, or do we need others?
- Robert Bosch GmbH CAN Home Page BOSCH is the originator of CAN Information about CAN and Time Triggered CAN – TTC; Datasheets CAN products: CC750/CC770
- http://atlasinfo.cern.ch/Atlas/GROUPS/DAQTRIG/DCS/CANINFO/canproto.html CANopen Software Description; This paper describes CANopen as a high level protocol to control the CANbus 11 bit identifier and the 8 data bytes as used among the different nodes on a bus segment.
- http://www.ccontrols.com/devicenetseminar_files/v3_document.htm Contemporrary Controls DeviceNbwrc?.eecs.berkeley.edu/People/ Grad_Students?/rcshah/documents/ttcan.ppt et Tutorial; 56 slides containing a DeviceNet seminar
- http://www-eu3.semiconductors.com/can CAN sub-site (Philips); More background information on CAN in general can be found here.
- http://www.embedded-communication.com A blog our communication protocols such as CANopen, EnergyBus and J1939 and others.
- http://pandora.ist.utl.pt NavIST CAN Research and Development; This World Wide Web page references the main research, development and engineering activities along with other dissemination and educational initiatives taken at the Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), by the NavIST members, regarding application of the Controller Area Network (CAN) field-bus to the design and implementation of Reliable Distributed Real-Time Control Systems.
- http://www.nmea.org/2000.htm NMEA, National Marine Electronics Association; NMEA 2000 will be a low-cost bi-directional, multi-transmitter, multi-receiver serial data network NMEA 2000 is a communication protocol based upon the J1939 CAN standard from the National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) to interconnect various electronic devices onboard ships and smaller recreational and commercial vessels.
- http://gbyang.4y.com.cn/fieldbus/CANAPFIELD.pdf The CiA paper: CAN Applications
- http://www.inrialpes.fr/iramr/Docs/canprotocol.pdf (1.2 MB) A 1998 Motorola document describing the Bosch Controller Area Network Version 2.0 Protocol Standard and the Motorola CAN implementations Motorola CAN - MCAN, TouCAN, and Motorola scalable CAN - MSCAN08/MSCAN12
- http://www.inicore.com/____pdf/vendobus.pdf Inicore White paper: Concept and ASIC Solution for CAN based Field Bus in Service Automation
- FlexCAN: A Flexible Architecture for Highly Dependable Embedded Application Juan R. Pimentel, José Alberto Fonseca; A new architecture (FlexCAN) and associated protocol (SafeCAN?) are sumarized. The new architecture and constituent protocol are based on the CAN protocol and supports embedded safety-critical applications such as those in vehicles (trucks, cars, boats, snowmobiles, etc). The paper concentrates on the paradigms used by the architecture and the various constituent components.
- CAN - a brief tutorial by Computer Solutions Ltd UK.
- Controller Area Network - CAN Information by Staffan Nilsson.
PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2004 INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON REAL-TIME NETWORKS RTN 2004, University of Catania,Italy, 2004
Session 1: Controller Area Network I
- FlexCAN: A Flexible Architecture for Highly Dependable Embedded Applications; J. R. Pimentel, J.A. Fonseca
- An Experiment to Assess Bit Error Rate in CAN; J. Ferreira, A. Oliveira, P. Fonseca, J. A. Fonseca
- CANopen-based Transducer Network; Holger Zeltwanger, Thilo Schumann
Session 2: Controller Area Network II
- Hierarchical Scheduling of CAN using Server-Based Techniques; Thomas Nolte, Mikael Nolin, Hans Hansson
- CAN-RT-TOP: Real-Time Task-Oriented Protocol over CAN for Analyzable Distributed Applications; Juan López Campos, J. Javier Gutiérrez, and Michael González Harbour
- Clock Synchronization in CAN Distributed Embedded Systems; G. Rodriguez-Navas, J. Proenza