Table of Contents
Try to put the latest devices on top of each section and mark end-of-line products. Only specify the main parameters of the micro controllers and go more into deep with details about the CAN interface. Always try to put a link to the data sheet or manual.
8 bit Controllers
16 bit Controllers
- XC166 series, was very popular in the 1990. At least in Germany/Europe.
Infineon introduced the TwinCAN with this processor family.
32 bit Controllers
- Aurix TC3xx series is designed for automotive applications. As a host controller in gateway and telematics applications, the MCUs support multiple network interfaces. This includes up to 12 CAN-FD channels compliant to ISO 11898-1:2015.
- AURIX family of multi core controllers based on up to three TriCore cores. AURIX™ (AUtomotive Realtime Integrated NeXt Generation Architecture). The controller features MultiCAN+, a successor of MultiCAN used already in older TriCore controllers. The latest generation integrates already CAN FD
Up to 6 CAN nodes with FD support available according to ISO11898-1 FDIS 2014 CAN-FD.
- XMC1000 Infineon Technologies (Germany) 32-bit ARM® Cortex™-M0 processor.
Unfortunately currently without CAN
- XMC1403/XMC1404 with MultiCAN: 2 CAN nodes, 32 Message Objects
- XMC4000 Infineon Technologies (Germany) provides the 32-bit XMC4500 industrial micro-controllers using the Cortex M4 processor from ARM with three CAN ports. The series currently comprises several products differing in terms of temperature range (+85 °C or +125 °C), Flash memory size (512 KiB to 1 MiB) and package (LQFP-100, LQFP-144 and LFBGA-144). The micro-controllers provide a 120-MHz CPU and 160 KiB of RAM. The unit price for a XMC4500 micro-controller ranges between 3,90 € and 5,50 € (for 10k orders).
- XMC4300 with MultiCAN: 2 CAN nodes. + EtherCAT
- XMC4700 with MultiCAN: 6 CAN nodes
- XMC4800 with MultiCAN: 6 CAN nodes, + EtherCAT
Stand alone CAN Controllers
Infineon has a long history in CAN. Ursula Kelling gives an history overview on it (A brief history outline of Infineon’s CAN modules.) Ursula gave a speech on the 13th international CAN Conference on the new MultiCAN+.
SAK 82C900 (Discontinued!) Standalone TwinCAN Controller 2 CAN Channels, Manual (pdf)
81C90 DPRAM type controller which supports CAN 2.0A and 2.0B passive. There are 16 message buffers and a global buffer is provided (a bit like the Intel 82527). Time stamping of incoming messages. Two 8-bit parallel ports. 44 pin PLCC package.
Main features of the AURIX™ MultiCAN+ module:
- Up to 6 CAN nodes with FD support available
- ISO11898-1 FDIS 2014 CAN-FD
- Resonator ready with asynchronous operation and choice of clock source
- Frequency scaling without baud rate change
- Energy saving: pretended networking and partial networking (ISO11898-6 transceiver support) support (also in CAN FD mode)
- Safety support: total amount of bus errors countable
- Message objects can be freely assigned among the nodes
- Configurable FIFO length, automatic gateway mode support
- Acceptance mask filtering for each message object